Monday, June 11, 2007

The Gifts Beyond

King Solomon

1 Kings 3:11-13
"Then God said to him 'Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked long life for yourself, nor have asked for riches for yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies but have asked for yourself understanding to discern justice, behold, I have done according to your words; see I have given you a wise and understanding heart so that there has not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you. And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and honor, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days,'"

I know that's a lot of scripture, but the entire content was needed to get the point. First he asks for wisdom instead of all the other "me" centered things people ask for. It reminds me of all the shows where people are granted wishes. It seems like they always end up in trouble because they've asked for so many ultimately worthless things - money, fame, things that have no eternal value.

What Solomon asks for here has eternal value and pleases God greatly because in essence it is selfless. So because of this he ends up with many more blessings than he asked for!

It is a great lesson to see God's blessings when we make good decisions, selfless decisions, decisions that affect our life and others in a good way!

Heavenly Father please help me to seek you and your will and to ask for things that hold eternal value. I want to be more like you to live a whole and blameless life, to seek you in all I do and to have eternal impact on all those around me!

0 comments: